News:

Cheers to our latest Established Members:
LovelyLena & JustMe
And belated props to Community Hero NotPennysBoat!
:party :teddy :biteme

Main Menu

First High Profile conviction from Operation Yewtree

Started by Gaki, 29 April, 2014, 23:51:24

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gaki

The (evidently) well-known PR man, Max Clifford has been convicted of 11 counts of indecent assault against seven teenagers.  The legal machine in the UK is so thrilled that their first 'high-profile' conviction has finally occurred after a 'series of public figures' were aquitted in the Operation Yewtree dragnet. 

The article is typically Telegraph UK, focusing on the hyperbole rather than the facts of the case.  A few highlights:

Quote
Clifford gave evidence during the trial in which he admitted attending sex parties thrown by Diana Dors, the actress, when he was a young man, where he had a "jolly good time". He also said he had organised his own X-rated parties where he acted as "ringmaster". Much of the evidence hinged on references to the size of Clifford's manhood.

In addition to the seven women on the indictment, a further six gave evidence as supporting witnesses, revealing how they too had fallen foul of Clifford's wandering hands.

One told how she was just 12 when he molested her in a jacuzzi in 1983.

I find it interesting the information they needed for the trial of the women...  but as they said, it hinged on the size of his 'manhood' :roll

I also found it interesting that if 6 other witnesses had 'fallen foul' of his hands, why were they not part of the charge sheet?  Especially if one was supposedly 12 when it happened ????

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10769861/Max-Clifford-trial-public-relations-guru-guilty-of-eight-counts-of-indecent-assault.html [Clearnet, tor-safe with javascript disabled]
Quote from: The article
Max Clifford, the public relations guru, has been found guilty of indecently assaulting teenage girls over nearly 20 years.

Clifford, 71, is facing jail after an eight-week trial in which he faced 11 counts of indecent assault against seven teenagers.

He was convicted of eight charges, cleared of two and the jury was unable to reach a verdict on one other.

Clifford became the first high-profile defendant to be convicted as a result of Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree, which was set up in the wake of the scandal surrounding Jimmy Savile, the BBC entertainer who was unmasked as Britain's worst paedophile following his death in 2011.

The outcome will go some way towards restoring the Crown Prosecution Service's reputation following widespread criticism over its decision to take a series of public figures to trial only for them to be acquitted on all charges.
Related Articles

Judge Anthony Leonard QC specifically warned the jury, during his summing up of the Clifford trial on April 14, that they should not be influenced by the recent acquittal of Nigel Evans MP, or by other Yewtree inquiries into what the judge described as "people who were on television in the 1960s and beyond".

Clifford was released on bail until Friday for sentencing, and posed for photos with his family and supporters outside court.

He looked directly into waiting television cameras and said: "I have been told by my lawyers to say nothing at all."

As he walked towards his waiting car, Clifford was asked what it felt like to be the story, and replied it was "not the first time".

Clifford's trial at Southwark Crown Court, south London, heard the publicist bullied young women into performing sex acts, often after trying to impress star-struck teenagers with stories of his connections with pop stars, actors and movie executives.

Clifford treated his office as his own "sexual fiefdom" to do as he pleased with a number of victims between 1966 and 1984, the court heard.

Clifford had denied all the charges and Richard Horwell QC, his barrister, said the trial had been "haunted by the spectre of Jimmy Savile".

Mr Horwell said his client admitted to having affairs but added that his "sex life and adulterous relationships are not on trial".

Clifford gave evidence during the trial in which he admitted attending sex parties thrown by Diana Dors, the actress, when he was a young man, where he had a "jolly good time". He also said he had organised his own X-rated parties where he acted as "ringmaster". Much of the evidence hinged on references to the size of Clifford's manhood.

In addition to the seven women on the indictment, a further six gave evidence as supporting witnesses, revealing how they too had fallen foul of Clifford's wandering hands.

One told how she was just 12 when he molested her in a jacuzzi in 1983.

Rosina Cottage QC, prosecuting, said Clifford was a "master of manipulation" who used his offices as his "sexual fiefdom" to toy with vulnerable young women.

The trial heard Clifford roamed naked around his New Bond Street HQ and romped with young aspiring models.

On one occasion, Clifford was caught having sex with a woman against the wall of his office, after comedian Lennie Bennett burst in by accident, the jury was told.

The publicist also pretended to have a string of 'A'-list contacts in a bid to lure young women into bed.

Clifford claimed to be friends with 007 producer Albert "Cubby" Broccoli and suggested he could make introductions for aspiring actresses.

But Mr Broccoli's daughter Barbara, who has taken over as co-producer of the Bond franchise, testified that as far as she knew her father had never met Clifford.

Miss Cottage told jurors: "The defendant used his contact with famous people to bully and manipulate young people into sexual acts with him.

"In his actions he breached the trust of parents he had encouraged to trust him and young women working for him or seeking jobs in the world which he worked.

"He is the maker of kiss and tell celebrity and the breaker of reputations.

"He has been at the top of the media for many years. He knows the strings to pull.

"He knows how to manipulate, lie and get what he wants.

"As the years went by and he got away with his behaviour he must have thought he was untouchable and no doubt thought no one would complain and if they did, they would not be believed."

Defence barrister Mr Horwell promised to call a string of showbiz witnesses to refute the allegations, but in the end the court heard from Des O'Connor, the television host and singer; Pauline Quirke, the actress; and Jilly Johnson, a former glamour model.

In 2010 Clifford, of Hersham, Surrey, married his second wife, Jo Westwood, who formerly worked as his personal assistant.

Clifford denied 11 counts of indecent assault.

Detective Chief inspector Michael Orchard, of Scotland Yard, said: "I would like to thank the victims for their courage and strength in coming forward to speak with us. I hope they feel, and know, that they were listened to.

"I would also like to thank my officers for their commitment and hard work in this case.

"Whilst this was a high profile trial, officers work tirelessly to bring offenders of sexual abuse to justice on a daily basis."

Jenny Hopkins, deputy chief Crown prosecutor for CPS London, said: "Today's verdicts provide a long-denied justice to the victims of serious sexual offences. I would like to thank these victims for having had the courage to come forward and give evidence.

"The victims of sexual abuse, whenever it may have taken place, should know that police and prosecutors will listen.

"It is only right that we now take some time to consider our position on the hung count and we will update the court accordingly."

Peter Watt, director of national services at the NSPCC, said: "Max Clifford has rightly been unmasked as a ruthless and manipulative sex offender who preyed for decades on children and young women.

"Clifford was a rich and influential man who dined with the stars but the way he manipulated and groomed his victims is typical of many sex offenders. He exploited their vulnerabilities, using lies and coercion to get what he wanted.

"Throughout the court case Clifford has behaved dismissively and arrogantly towards his victims and the suffering he has caused them. He made them go through a long and painful court case and relive their traumatic experiences by not pleading guilty."

He praised the courage of Clifford's victims for coming forward.

o.0
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary... for those who do not, none is possible.

Gaki

A brief summary of his charges and their results.  I find it interesting that there was only two charges where the jury unanimously convicted him, but the other convictions were quite a majority.

Just for a little sense - there were successful convictions against 4 girls: 15, 17, 18 and 20.  The age of consent at the time was 16 - but perhaps he could be considered to be in a 'position of trust'... 

Regardless, it does seem as though he was quite manipulative, and I certainly would not want to be around him as a female of any age.

However, I note this because of the 'Child Molester' cries and the focus of Yewtree (being a child abuse dragnet) taking credit for this man as a 'child predator'. :sadno

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10769732/Max-Clifford-trial-The-victims.html [Clearnet, tor-safe with Javascript disabled]

Quote
Count One: No verdict, jury discharged
The jury was unable to reach a verdict on claims Clifford lunged at a 15-year-old schoolgirl after meeting her at a Wimpy burger bar in 1966.

Count Two: Not guilty
The jury rejected the allegation that an 18-year-old receptionist was indecently assaulted in 1975.

Counts Three to Six: Guilty, on a 9-1 majority verdict on each charge
Clifford groomed a "star-struck" schoolgirl for sex after promising to make her the next Jodie Foster.

The publicist befriended the 15-year-old during a family holiday in Spain in 1977, when he offered to help her become a model.

Back in Britain, Clifford persuaded her parents to let him take her out in his yellow Jaguar, before abusing her.

The teen felt "troubled" by the fact the PR guru had shaken her father's hand, explaining: "If only my father had known what those hands made me do."

Clifford told the girl that Julie Christie, the film star, had ordered him to "take her virginity".

He insisted having sex would make her "fall in love with him" and become "100 per cent loyal to him."

She confronted him in an anonymous letter years later, writing how he had an "A+ in child grooming".
Now in her 50s, the woman said she would have felt a coward if she didn't complain to police, after the Savile scandal broke.

Count Seven: Not guilty
The jury rejected the allegation that Clifford launched himself on a 19-year-old recruitment worker in 1978.

Count Eight: Guilty, unanimous on a 10-member jury
A woman who worked as an extra in a James Bond movie kicked Clifford in the groin after he molested her during a lingerie photo shoot.

The woman was told by Clifford to adopt a suggestive pose during the meeting in the early 1980s.

She recalled Clifford's "smelly breath" as he shoved her onto a sofa and lunged at her.

The 20-year-old had already won a role in the 007 movie when the PR guru offered to represent her.

He promised to make her a leading lady in a Charles Bronson film but said he needed photographic evidence of her figure.

She later confided in Bond producer Barbara Broccoli, daughter of 007 franchise owner, Albert

"Cubby" Broccoli about the 'frightening ordeal', before going to police years later.

Miss Broccoli, the first of a string of celebrity witnesses at the trial, confirmed her father in fact had no connection with Clifford.

Counts Nine and Ten: Guilty, on a 9-1 majority verdict on each charge
Clifford told a teenage model he could get her a role in a Bond film if she slept with Cubby Broccoli.

The PR guru boasted of his celebrity contacts and claimed to have slept with Diana Ross, the singer and actress, before pouncing on the victim.

Clifford ordered the 17-year-old to remove her dress before describing how "turned on" he was by her holed tights.

The publicist then took a call from his wife while he performed a sex act - before ordering the teenager to touch him.

Now 48, she told how she "turned to stone" during the attack, in 1983.

She rang police after he was arrested.

Count Eleven: Guilty, unanimous
A former dancer revealed Clifford promised to make her a Bond girl before indecently assaulting her.

The 18-year-old felt "powerless" to refuse the PR guru's demands to perform a sex act on him in a nightclub toilet.

Clifford insisted no one would believe the teenager if she spoke out to police.

The woman, now 43, described how she "froze" during the ordeal, and was left so traumatised that she split up with her boyfriend and later abandoned Britain for a kibbutz in Israel.

She confided in an older sister but swore her to secrecy, only breaking her silence when the Savile scandal hit the headlines.

o.0
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary... for those who do not, none is possible.